"Let unity, the greatest good of all goods, be your preoccupation." - St. Ignatius of Antioch (Letter to St. Polycarp)

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Adoro Te Devote



  1. Adoro te devote, latens Deitas,
    Quæ sub his figuris vere latitas;
    Tibi se cor meum totum subjicit,
    Quia te contemplans totum deficit.
  2. Visus, tactus, gustus in te fallitur,
    Sed auditu solo, tuto creditur:
    Credo quidquid dixit Dei Filius:
    Nil hoc verbo veritatis verius.
  3. In cruce latebat sola Deitas;
    At hic latet simul et humanitas:
    Ambo tamen credens, atque confitens,
    Peto quod petivit latro pœnitens.
  4. Plagas sicut Thomas, non intueor,
    Deum tamen meum te confiteor:
    Fac me tibi semper magis credere,
    In te spem habere, te diligere.
  5. O memoriale mortis Domini,
    Panis vivus vitam præstans homini,
    Præsta meæ menti de te vivere,
    Et te illi semper dulce sapere.
  6. Pie pellicane Jesu Domine,
    Me immundum munda tuo sanguine,
    Cujus una stilla salvum facere
    Totum mundum quit ab omni scelere.
  7. Jesu, quem velatum nunc aspicio,
    Oro fiat illud quod tam sitio,
    Ut te revelata cernens facie
    Visu sim beatus tuæ gloræ.
  1. Devoutly I adore Thee, O hidden God,
    Truly hidden underneath these veils:
    To Thee my whole heart submits,
    Since in contemplating Thee it completely fails.
  2. Sight, touch, and taste, about Thee are deceived,
    But hearing only is sufficient to believe;
    I believe everything that God the Son has spoken;
    Nothing than this Word of Truth is truer.
  3. On the Cross only Thy Divinity was veiled,
    Here Thy humanity lieth hidden too;
    Yet both I believe and confess,
    I ask that, which asked the contrite thief.
  4. Thy wounds, not as Thomas do I see,
    But I confess Thee as my God:
    Make me more and more to believe in Thee,
    To Hope in Thee, and love Thee.
  5. O Memorial of the Lord's death,
    Living Bread, that givest life to man;
    Grant my soul on Thee to live,
    And always Thy sweetness to taste.
  6. Tender Pelican, Lord Jesus,
    Wash me clean in Thy blood,
    Of which a single drop can save
    the whole world from all that defiles.
  7. Jesus, whom now I see hidden,
    I ask, grant that for which I so thirst,
    That on seeing Thee face to face
    I may be happy in the vision of Thy glory.

Feast of St. Thomas Aquinas, 2010. (The words of Adore Te Devote are about Christ in the Eucharist.)