"Let unity, the greatest good of all goods, be your preoccupation." - St. Ignatius of Antioch (Letter to St. Polycarp)

Friday, June 27, 2008

Archbishop Burke leaving St. Louis

St. Louis Catholic has the story. This is very sad for those of us who know and love Archbishop Burke. He has been a great blessing to this Archdiocese. In November of last year, I wrote about the ecumenical influence of Archbishop Burke here in St. Louis. May he be a greater blessing to the whole Catholic Church, from his new position as Prefect of Apostolic Signatura at the Vatican. And may God bring a worthy replacement to be the episcopal shepherd of the Archdiocese of St. Louis. Thank you Archbishop Burke for all your faithful service to the Archdiocese of St. Louis.

UPDATE: More here, here, and here.

Watch the presser. (H/T: Fr. Z)

2 comments:

Skyrim Geek said...

Bryan,

My first thoughts were directed towards you when I read this story this morning. I've very sad that he is leaving the Archdiocese of St. Louis, but I am also happy that he can better serve the Church "catholic" in his new role. Now I will be able to feel his impact in Connecticut! I will pray earnestly for a suitable replacement, though those are very large shoes to fill. Let's hope that the Pope ignores the suggestions given him by the USCCB (sorry for the swipe) and chooses one who will at least be able to walk in Abp. Burke's shoes, though they may not fit.

Peace

Blogahon said...

At first I thought, 'Man...we are losing a good Bishop.' But then I thought, "We'll feel his impact in Houston."

Congrats to the good Archbishop (Future Cardinal?)