"Let unity, the greatest good of all goods, be your preoccupation." - St. Ignatius of Antioch (Letter to St. Polycarp)

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Baptism and Christian Unity


Recently I noticed some of my Protestant brothers discussing baptism
here and here. I also have seen some discussion among some Protestants who recognize the salvific importance of union with Christ, regarding the manner in which union with Christ takes place. Since baptism is the gateway for the other sacraments, and one of the means by which we are made one body (Eph 4:5), I thought it might be helpful to present the Catholic perspective on baptism. So I want to look at what the Scriptures say about the relation between baptism and regeneration. But I want to do so through the eyes of the fathers. For that reason, below I first examine some selections from the fathers regarding the relation between baptism and regeneration, and then I examine the Scriptures on baptism. (Read more)

No comments: